Monday, December 14, 2009

Blah..

I am so very, very tired. I thought by 8 months Tater would be at least close to sleeping through the night but I think I am getting less and less sleep. For a couple of weeks at the end of November he was only waking up maybe 1-2 times per night which was bearable but then last week he started back to his usual 4-5 times per night. Last night I put him down at 7:30. I topped him off at 9:30, 11:00, 12, 1, 3:30, 5, and he got up for the day at 7:30. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. He has cereal and baby food through out the day with his final feeding of cereal at 6-6:30ish just before starting his bedtime routine. I am not the kind that can do the crying it out thing. I have to go in and make sure he hasn't wet through his diaper or gotten his leg stuck in the crib bars. And once in there I can't just ignore him. Gah...

Beyond this my life has been pretty boring. I spent Friday night at a potluck with my mom before going to bed at 9:45, Saturday night I stayed up till midnight baking 8 dozen cookies for a Sunday cookie exchange and last night I went to the grocery store after the kids went to bed. The big event of my night was arguing with the cashier about the fact that he charged me 3 times for 2 bars of cheese. And then he acted like it was my fault and didn't even apologize after I had to stand back in line to make him fix it. Such is the life of the SAHM.

I do love my life and it is the life I wanted but sometimes I don't recognize this nearly 30 year old with two kids and a coupon binder in her purse. The 20 year old me would have probably never even looked at a receipt to see what a cashier charged me and I certainly wouldn't have been caught dead with a handful of coupons. I could barely tell you at 22 who the President was much less my senators. Now I spend my afternoons watching Glenn Beck and reading news online complaining about how this country is going to hell in a handbasket. My life is definitely not exciting blog fodder but I won't complain. We are happy, healthy, and uninteresting which is just fine by me. I could use a little more sleep though.

5 comments:

Kristine said...

My 20 year old self wouldn't recognize my 31 year olds self either - i think that's totally normal.

Shawna said...

Awww, hang in there! I had the same experience with my little one and I survived - you will too! :) (Just like you did with Bear.)
I nursed until he was 11.5 months and he NEVER slept through the night, not until he stopped nursing completely. I wanted to make it to the one year mark, but I had gone back to work (when he was 8 mths) and just couldn't take it anymore...getting up in the middle of the night for nursing, then working all day. I kept telling myself that it was just a few short months (and therefore a small sacrifice) that would provide him benefits for the rest of his life. (I know, a little on the dramatic side..but it's what got me through it.) I was so worried about the transition for him and wasn't sure how he'd take to complete weaning. He was only nursing 2 times per day (well, theoretically... then there were the nighttime top-ups ;) ) but he actually just sort of weaned himself at 11.5 months. I'd heard of babies weaning themselves but was skeptical because he had always refused a bottle, but one day I just tried it (well, someone ELSE tried the bottle, he obviously wouldn't take a bottle from me at first) and he took it! From that point on he was weaned and started sleeping through the night. So, whether it's next month or 3-6 months from now, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! Try to think about how fast these 8 months have flown by - it probably seems like just yesterday you were holding that tiny newborn in the palm of one hand. The next few months will fly by as well and next thing you know you'll be missing those special nighttime top ups where you are the ONLY one that can meet his needs. It's nice to be needed like that. Well that's how I feel anyway. Hope my little pep talk helped. Hang in there!!
Hugs, (Sorry, we're huggers in my family),
Shawna

Shawna said...

P.S. I like your perspective about being happy, healthy and uninteresting. Many, many people are NOT blessed with those basic things right now...

Merry Christmas if we don't cross paths before then.

jpandtheboys said...

Your boys are so adorable. I know that letting them cry it out is so so hard but I think it's necessary. You need to get sleep. Do you rock him to sleep, nurse him to sleep or do you just lay him down?? When I lay Weston down obviously I have made sure that he is fed, clean diaper, etc and then I go do something to occupy myself. Within 10-15 minutes he is asleep. In the middle of the night nurse him and then put him right back down. I have been told to keep activity level to the absolute minimum and lights low or off. Hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Stephanie said...

Try reading the book Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. If you do what she outlines, Tater will be sleeping through the night in no time...and it's a no cry sleep solution! I loved it. I saved me and all my kiddos slept through the night by 3 months. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it. All three of my kids sleep 12 hours at night and have since 3 months (with only minor interruptions...teething, poopy, bad dream, etc). It's saved my sanity and I PROMISE it works! Hang in there. My FIL is famous for saying, "they won't be 20 and....insert action here." In your case, he won't be 20 and not sleeping through the night! Small comfort, but it does help put things in perspective some!