Friday, February 15, 2008

Fridays are for Slackers

Ok, I know its Friday and just last Friday I launched my Finance Friday's for Beginners but I was a slacker this week and got nothing done on that. Although I have started paying a lot more attention to the financial news and blogs recently. I'm starting to get a tiny grasp on what is going on with the economy depending on who you choose to believe. Hopefully next week I will get some motivation and actually do something.

Bear is doing better so far, knock on wood. Thanks for your support. I went through my day planner today at work and calculated my husband and I have taken off 19 days for Bear between the 2 of us since I started my job 7 months ago. Plus I am taking off this Monday because the daycare is closed. Add in all the weekends and holidays he has been sick and it comes out to a lot. We have finally decided it is worth taking the financial hit for me to stay home with him. Yeah! But I haven't put in my notice yet because I was out Tuesday and Wednesday and my boss has been out Thursday and today. I am planning to work for another 3 months so they have time to get someone hired and for me to train them before I leave. I work for such a huge system that it takes 2 months or more to get someone hired. So come May I will be like a kid getting out for summer! Cross your fingers and toes and pray for me that this is all going to work out and we won't be living in a cardboard box by the end of the summer.

Oh, and for those of you who are still thinking about Valentines, my husband LOVED his gift. He said, with the utmost sincerity, that this is the best gift he has ever received. Not bad for $59.00. He was so excited. I don't know what excited him more, the thought I put into the gift or the gift itself. He said he would have never in a million years thought of that for a gift. As for me, I also picked out my gift from him since I am on a roll with this gift giving thing. I have been lusting over the jewelry from Lisa Leonard forever it seems like so he bought me the Oval Monogram necklace I wanted (I believe it is the 4th picture down). I didn't get it ordered in time to get it for Valentine's Day but hopefully it will be in soon. I am so excited. I love her stuff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! May can't come soon enough!! I'm going to try and not be *too* jealous that you'll be home with your darling little Bear.

I've got about a million SAHM tips (on being frugal, on filling you day with fun activities, on not going crazy not being with other adults...) from when that used to be my life.

Keep us posted on your boss's reaction to the news that you are quitting. Prayers for you, your family and your account balances! :-)

Mid-Life Mother said...

Oh that will be such a blessing to you and your family. Congratulations!

Thanks for entering my giveaway the other week. I'm making my rounds to visit those who visited me:)

Amanda said...

What a blessing that you get to stay home! I think with some minor adjustments that seem to naturally happen, you will find staying home is really not that taxing after all. I agree with the previous poster that there are loads of blogs and websites (along with books) that can make your transition (particularly financially) much smoother.

If I could make one recommendation it would be this: begin trying to live on one income now, using what income you bring in to pay off as much debt and put as much in savings as possible. Get things done that could be taking later: new tires long needed, tune-ups, etc.

Overall, though, you'll probably find that you're not really giving up that much financially (what with losing pay from so many sick days and still paying out daycare, plus doctor visits, meds, etc.). In general, it all seems to balance out. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so jealous.

I'm still working on my plan...seems like it keeps getting pushed further and further back.