Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Same song, different verse

Guess what? Bear is sick AGAIN. Aren't you shocked? Perhaps I should just cut and paste my previous entries in a pleasing rotation to spare myself all this typing(recipe, Bear got sick, pictures of food, Bear got sick, hate being a working mother, Bear got sick). The daycare left a message literally minutes after I stepped out the door for lunch. When I got back the little ominious red light of doom was blinking at me. I shut my computer down, packed up all my work, told my boss my kid is sick AGAIN, and headed over to the daycare while trying to get through to the doctor's office on my cell.

I swear I just need to bring in a cot to Pediatrics and take up residence until Bear leaves for college. This time it is a rash and a fever. Add in one black eye and he looks like the most forlorn baby in the history of daycare. He did have his 1 year shots 11 days ago and when he had the shots the doctor said 10 days later he might have a fever and a rash from the shot. So I told the daycare that but they are still freaking out saying it could be chicken pox, roseola, or the bubonic plague. Ok I may have taken it a tad far on the last one but they were seriously at high alert like he might explode and propel germ schrapnel onto all the surrounding babies.

I talked to the nurse at the doctors office and explained about the shots 11 days ago and the fever Friday, Saturday and Sunday plus the rash and fever today and the river of snot freely flowing from his nose since last week. We talked about his tubes and drainage and all the lovely things that parents talk to nurses about. She wasn't concerned about the rash but the fever is making her a little nervous so she is going to talk to the doctor and call me back.

Now I get to use another lovely vacation day tomorrow keeping him home along with the one I'm taking Monday because the daycare is closed for President's Day. Wah, Wah, Wah. My husband and I discussed the possibility of me quitting my job last night. Half of me was ready to draft my letter of resignation and slide it under my boss's door last night but the more rational side of me is a little freaked out. What about insurance? What if he loses his job? What if my coworkers all hate me for bailing out after being at my job less than a year? What if my husband secretly resents me for putting all the burden on him to pay the bills? Either way it will be a couple of months before I do leave if I leave. We need a little time to work out the logistics and I need to give my boss plenty of notice to hire a replacement and get them trained. But days like today make me realize that this is not working. Somethings got to give.

2 comments:

Haley said...

You are so welcome! I'm sorry it took me so long to get it to you in the first place, but being a mom with a small child yourself, I'm sure you understand how crazy that can make life. :-)

Glad it got to you on time! :-)

Haley

Anonymous said...

Don't know how I missed this post when I was looking at your great Valentine's Day idea yesterday! So sorry to hear that Bear is sick again!

It's hard being a working mom, something I just recently have become aware of first-hand. The decision with one child might be different, but when our second one came along (back when I was married) and we looked at day care costs, I was going to have to be making nearly 6 figures to justify the cost of day care and all that comes along with being a working mom.

Staying home with Jack for 3 1/2 years and Will for 2 was the greatest time of my life. If you can make it happen, and it would make you happy (it sounds like it would!), I say GO FOR IT!

I would go back to staying home with my boys and clipping coupons in a heartbeat if I could.

I'll be thinking of you as you make this decision! Prayers and Blessings...
liz