Thursday, October 25, 2007

Daddies


I don't know how single mothers do it. Every time my husband mentions going out of town overnight I cringe. Tonight he will be staying out of town for work which means I am on single parent duty tonight. I have to run to the grocery store during lunch today to pick up the stuff for the potluck at work tomorrow. I have not gotten to the point where I feel comfortable getting in and out of a store with groceries and Bear by myself. I know, I'm a wuss.


My older sister is a single mother to 3 kids (2 toddler twins and a 7 year old) and I honestly do not know how she does it. She has a lot of help from family members that live nearby, but I can only imagine those days when she has to get up get 1 kid ready and dropped of to elementary school and two kids dropped off at daycare so she can drive to her school. I complain about my one kid getting sick at daycare. On any given week she can have 1-3 sick kids.


I have tremendous respect for single parents as I can barely handle one night on my own. I know I could do it long term if I had to but I am so glad I don't. Every time I think my husband isn't doing enough to help out I am reminded how much harder it is when he isn't here. All the bottles he washes, trash he takes out, laundry he folds, tag teaming with me on picking up Bear and taking him to doctors appointments. It really is a lot and I am grateful for his help and his partnership. We are a team and without him I am a little lost. He is a wonderful father and loves his son with such depth that it takes my breath away.


4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I know exactly what you mean. I have a new respect for single mothers every day. I can't imagine doing it on my own every day. Like you said, it's hard enough when my husband goes out of town for a couple of nights or even has to work late!

And yes, my daughter was born premature in January as well. It is a small world. I can't wait to go back and read your archives. You mentioned you are an Aggie. What year are you? I am '03 and my husband is '02.

Anonymous said...

I have a tremendous respect for single parents, too. My mom was one.

misguidedmommy said...

i hate hate hate when my husband goes out of town...it super sucks. i dont know how single moms do it at all they rock

Jamie said...

In response to your comment on my blog:

Thanks for the roast and casserole info. Those sounds really good. I'm going to get the stuff after work so I can put the roast on tomorrow!!!