Sunday, January 20, 2008

Best Laid Plans

We had big plans this weekend, places to go, people to see. Ok, maybe it's not big by other people's standards but I was excited none the less. We were going to go to my old coworker's sons birthday party Saturday afternoon then go home and get ready for a really nice birthday dinner for a friend of mine. WE HAD A BABYSITTER. Someone volunteered to watch my child so I could go out with several other couples for a nice evening out.

I'm sure you know where this is going. Bear woke up Saturday morning with the fever back. We gave him Ibuprofen and fluids and he was acting fine. We kept him home from the birthday party but still planned on doing the birthday dinner that evening. At 6pm the fever came back so my husband volunteered to stay home with Bear and I went to the dinner. It was really nice but I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if he could have come. I was the only person there without my spouse. Times like this make me wonder why I work.

I work all day and miss out on Bear's daily activities and then when the weekend rolls around he is usually sick so we can't do anything. My birthday weekend, Thanksgiving, this weekend all spent caring for our sick child. I feel bad for Bear because he spends his weekends recuperating from the virus du jour. We spend our weekends taking care of him and canceling plans. It is very frustrating to not even get to enjoy the 2 days we have together as a family before the work week starts again. I am tired of complaining about being a working mother. I am tired of doctor visits and cancelled plans. I really don't think I would mind working as much if Bear was well and we got to make the most out of the time we had together. I honestly don't know how single parents do it. I have tremendous respect for people who do this day in and day out without the support of a significant other.

No comments: